Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, March 11, 2011

What's in there?



So as I get closer to the end, I find myself pondering whether we'll be having a son or daughter. I'm still glad we didn't find out - particularly that I received lots of yellow and green at the shower, ha! - I'm starting to get a little impatient. Everyone has an opinion! As I write this, the poll here on the blog is 10:9 for girl. The baby pool my mom and sister organized say 32:20 boy. But in the interest of science, I looked up some of the wives' tales on gender prediction so I can share with you all!

Q: Carrying high or low?
A: Oh my gosh, if this were true this would be the girliest girl ever, because the baby is high!

Q: Heartrate - above or below 140 beats per minute?
A: I think almost every time it's checked we're right around 140! Maybe a bit higher, which supposedly means a girl.

Q: Cravings - sweet or salty?
A: Another that would mean a girly-girl, because it's been sweets all the way!

Q: Chinese Birth Chart - age of mother and month of conception.
A: 30 at conception, and I guess technically conceived in August? (These are always odd, I mean, with the IVF the egg was fertilized in May, actually, but then frozen and implanted in August...) If I use May, it's a girl. If I use August, it's a boy. :)

Q: Mayan Sex Predictor - age of mother and year of conception, odd or even?
A: Both are even, so that means girl. (apparently if it's one of each, it's a boy)

Q: If you put a key in front of me, do I pick up the big part or the thin part?
A: We did this at a party a few months ago, actually. I picked up the round part, so that is supposed to mean a boy. (some of these are so scientific!) Which is kind of the opposite of what you'd think. Or maybe that's just me...but I would think the long, thin part would be a boy. :)

Q: Breaking out, swollen nose, etc.
A: I don't think I look much different than before I got pregnant (my skin actually cleared up!), so that is another indication of a boy, because girls "steal their mothers beauty!" Ha, awesome. Mom, you're still beautiful and you had two girls. :)

Q: Morning sickness?
A: Wow, these predictors really think carrying a girl is a bitch! But since I had smooth sailing the whole time, that's a boy indicator.

Q: Where's the weight going - all over or just in front?
A: This one makes me happy, and it is probably the wives' tale I hear the most from people. I haven't put on much weight except the belly, so that is supposed to indicate a boy.

Q: Leg hair growth - faster or the same as before pregnancy?
A: The same, if not slower. Thank goodness, because it's hard to reach! Girl.

Q: Cold feet? (literally)
A: Nope, no difference. Theoretically a girl.

Okay, last one! There are a million out there! Here's a nice off-the-wall one.
Q: Do you eat the heel of the bread?
A: No, I have always hated the heel of the bread. So must be a girl!


Our grand total for this little exercise is 7:4 for a girl. :) I suspect the more you answer, the closer it gets to 50%, of course, with my vast knowledge of statistics. (um, total joke)

I also get asked a lot what I think. For some reason, I have always thought of this baby as a girl. It's not a preference or anything I can point to as having a logical base or even a moment I began thinking so - it's just what I think. Maybe because it's funny to think of having a penis inside me for 9 months. HA, I'm a riot. I was so sure it was a girl for a while I actually sat up in bed one morning and said to myself "Self, this could just as easily be a boy!" which was kind of a shocker. So now I have to keep reminding myself of that. I honestly don't have a preference, though!

Anyway, back to work. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to find out! I've changed my opinion a few times, but when I saw you at the shower I thought boy...

    ReplyDelete